Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
Yema cake is a Filipino chiffon cake with a custard filling known as yema. It is generally prepared identically to mamón (chiffon cakes and sponge cakes in Filipino cuisine), with the only difference being that it incorporates yema either as frosting, as filling, or as part of the cake batter.
Yema Cake with Creamy Whole Egg Yema Frosting and Whipped Cream
Ingredients for the cake:
- 3/4 cup Cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsps Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 large Egg yolks
- 4 large Egg whites
- 1/3 cup Granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/3 cup Fresh or Evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp Vinegar or Lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Granulated white sugar (for the meringue)
Instructions for Chiffon Cake:
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks.
- Add the milk, oil, vanilla extract, and sugar. Mix well.
- Place a sifter on the bowl and sift cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until completely combined and no more lumps. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites and gradually add the sugar.
- Continue whisking until it reaches stiff peaks.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into the batter.
- Pour the mixture and fold into the remaining meringue.
- Pour batter into a 7 x 3 inches square pan with a parchment paper on the bottom. You can also use 7 x 4 inches round pan for this cake.
- Bake in a preheated oven 175°C (347°F) for 50 to 60 minutes or more, depending on your oven.
- Once the cake is done, take out from the oven and let it cool down.
- Divide cake into two parts and stacked them with a creamy caramel frosting in between of the layers.
- Drizzle or cover the whole cake with creamy caramel frosting.
- Garnish the top of the cake with grated cheese.
- Place whipped cream into a piping bag with a piping nozzle of your choice attached on it to decorate and finish your cake.
Ingredients and procedure for Whole Egg Yema frosting:
- 2 large whole Eggs
- 1 cup Thickened/heavy/whipping/All purpose cream
- 1/4 cup Granulated white Sugar (optional) You can add more or less
- 250 Condensed Milk
- 1/2 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- In a bowl, mix eggs and condensed milk.
- On medium speed with your hand or stand mixer, beat the egg mixture for about 2 minutes.
- Strain the egg mixture into a saucepan.
- Add the cream, sugar and salt.
- Stir to mix and turn the stove on medium heat.
- Keep stirring till frosting becomes thick. Its up to you if you want your frosting thin or thick.
- Once the frosting has thickened, add the vanilla extract and mix again.
- Remove from heat and let the frosting cool down down completely or use it straight way.
Ingredients and procedure for Whipped Cream:
- 3/4 cup Whipping or All purpose cream (very cold)
- 2 tbsps Granulated white sugar
- In a bowl, mix cream and sugar.
- Whisk until it reaches soft peaks.
- Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Place whipped cream into a piping bag with a piping nozzle of your choice attached on it.