Learn how to make this easy silky smooth very stable Boiled Icing recipe that you can use to cover your cakes, icing for your cupcakes and other desserts, for piping flowers and cake decorations.
This recipe is not too sweet, very light, fluffy, pure white in color and humidity stable.
Boiled Icing Recipe
Ingredients and procedure:
- 110 g or 3 large Egg whites
- 250 g Granulated White Sugar
- 50 ml Water
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp Citric acid
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, water and vanilla extract.
- Turn the stove on medium-high heat.
- Let it boil until it reaches 120°C (248°F)
- Make sure that when you are cooking the syrup you do not stir the mixture. It will cause the sugar to crystallize and you don’t want that to happen.
- Meanwhile, put the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and beat on medium speed.
- Once the hot syrup reached 120°C (248°F), turn the heat off.
- Add the citric acid and mix well.
- Turn the mixer on high speed and slowly pour the boiling hot sugar syrup into the egg whites.
- Beat until the meringue almost covered the whisk attachment.
- Slowly turn the mixer off and scrape down the bottom and the sides of the bowl.
- You will notice the bowl is still hot but the icing is ready to use.
- If the leftover meringue becomes bubbly after few hours, use a whisk or a spatula and mix until it becomes silky smooth again. Dont worry about the decorated cakes, the piped meringue will not get air bubbles, doesn’t dry and crusty being out of the fridge but will stay smooth and silky.
- This icing can be used for the recipes that are s’mores inspires. You can use a kitchen torch and burn the outside like a marshmallow to get the s’mores effect. It is absolutely delicious.
- You can substitute CITRIC ACID with cream of tartar, lemon juice or vinegar but remember that citric acid is strong so you will need to increase the amount to get the same effect.
- 3/4 tsp Citric Acid = 3 tsps Cream of Tartar, 1 1/2 tbsps Lemon juice or Vinegar
- Note: Citric acid has different effect and low ph level compare to cream of tartar, lemon juice or vinegar. So I suggest just use citric acid if you want your icing to have the same results.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE TO WATCH