Graham cracker is a sweet flavored cracker made with graham flour that originated in the early 1880s. It is eaten as a snack food, usually honey or cinnamon-flavored, and is used as an ingredient in some foods like S’mores, use a base for cheesecakes, and no bake frozen cakes.
Graham Crackers Recipe
Ingredients & Procedure:
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (Room temperature)
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream butter (room temperature) using your electric hand mixer.
- Add the white and brown sugar, honey, vanilla extract.
- Whisk until everything is well combined, creamy and light in color.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl to gather all the paste. Set aside.
- In a working mat/countertop, mix all purpose flour, wheat flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon powder.
- Mix well using your spatula.
- Add the butter mixture and use your hands to mix them well and form into a dough. It should be sticky and soft.
- Roll out dough in between of two parchment/wax paper until it is a little more 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, ruler or a knife, cut the dough into rectangles.
- Score the crackers down the center lengthwise and half across.
- Using a fork, prick the crackers on either side of the scored lines to create the classic graham crackers pattern.
- Place in the baking pan and chill in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- Take the graham crackers out of the freezer and bake in a preheated oven 180°C (356°F) for 15 minutes.
- Take the graham crackers out of the oven and cut the shapes while still hot.
- Store the cooled graham crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.