Dulce de Leche is a golden-brown color with deeply decadent flavour and it is similar to caramel and comes from sweetened milk, such as condensed milk. There are two ways to make it, one is by heating the condensed milk can in the boiling water but it takes a lot of hours to make it. The second one is very easy to make by melting the sugar in the pan to add a caramel flavour to condensed milk.
Dulce de Leche | Caramel Condensed Milk
Ingredients (US cup) and Procedure:
- 1/4 cup or 50 g Granulated white Sugar
- 1 tsp lemon/lime/calamansi juice
- 4 tbsps salted/unsalted Butter
- 400 g Condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- In a pan on medium heat, place the sugar and let it melt completely till golden-brown.
- Add the lemon/lime/calamansi juice and stir to mix. Once it becomes bubbly, turn the heat down to low.
- Add the butter and stir till dissolved completely.
- Add the condensed milk and stir till well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt.
- Mix well and keep stirring till it gets to the consistency you like.
- Transfer the dulce de leche/caramel into a bowl to cool down.
- Once cooled down completely, transfer it into an airtight jar/container and store in the fridge.
- Consume within 2 to 3 weeks.