Yema cake is a Filipino chiffon cake with a custard filling known as yema. It is generally prepared identically to mamón (chiffon cakes and sponge cakes in Filipino cuisine), with the only difference being that it incorporates yema either as frosting, as filling, or as part of the cake batter.
– Yema Cake –
Ingredients for the cake:
- 80 grams cake flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 100 grams cold condensed milk
- 65 grams white sugar
- 65 grams vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions for Chiffon Cake:
- Sift the cake flour. Instead of using a bowl, I used baking paper to place my sifted flour but you don’t have to do this.
- Heat up the oil in the pan, add the flour and mix well.
- Once the four and oil is not sticky, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, slightly beat the egg yolks.
- Transfer the flour and oil mixture into another bowl.
- Add the cold condensed milk. Cold condensed milk will help to cool down the mixture.
- Add the beaten egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix till well combined.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the egg whites till it reaches stiff peaks.
- And gradually add the sugar.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into the batter.
- Pour the mixture and fold into the remaining meringue.
- I used 10″ round spring pan but you can use 8″ round or 8×8″ square normal pan.
- Bake in preheated oven 160 °C (320°F) for 45-50 minutes or more, depending on your oven.
- Once the cake is done, take out from the oven and let it cool down.
Ingredients and procedure for Yema frosting:
- 6 Egg yolks
- 200 ml Thickened/heavy/whipping cream
- 1 can Condensed milk
- 50 g white sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, place the egg yolks, cream, condenesed milk, sugar (optional) and vanilla extract.
- Mix well and turn the stove on medium heat.
- Keep stirring till it becomes thick.
- Once the frosting is done, remove from the heat and let it cool down. You can pour the frosting on the cake while it still warm.
- Pour the frosting on top of the cake and sprinkle with grated cheese.