Gum paste rose are not hard to produce. With a little practice, it will be easy and effortless to make it. Each stage of the process can create a usable rose from bud to full blown blooms.
– White Rose Flower Gum paste –
Things you will need:
- Rose petal cutters: 3cm, 4cm and 5.5 cm
- 6 inches 18 gauge floral wire
- 2 cm round Styrofoam ball
- Edible glue
- Sugarcraft modelling ball tools
- Petal veiner
- Small brush
- Rolling pin
- 7 pcs Plastic spoons
- Cornstarch for dusting when gum paste is sticky
- Block of Styrofoam for drying
- Barbecue stick
- Take about 100 grams of gum paste which should be enough to make a rose.
- Give it a good knead and flatten it very thin with the rolling pin.
Start with the smallest size 3 cm petal cutter:
– Cut 3 pcs for first layer of petals
– Cut 5 pcs for second layer of petals
– Cut 6 pcs for third layer of petals
- Place all the petals in between of two plastic sheets to avoid them from drying.
- Put some dibble glue on the floral wire and insert it to the Styrofoam ball.
- Use a petal veiner to add detail and lifelike results.
- Use the ball tool to thin the edges and for cupping the petals.
- Use small brush to glue the petals to the Styrofoam ball and glue the rest of the petals.
Next, use 4 cm size petal cutter:
– Cut 5 pcs for fourth layer of petals
– Cut 6 pcs for fifth layer of petals
5.5 cm petal cutter:
– Cut 5 pcs for sixth layer of petals
– Cut 7 pcs for final layer of petals
For the final layer:
- Use the stick to roll the sides of the petals to give the rose more lifelike results.
- Place the petals into the spoons for few minutest to hold their shapes. Glue the petals to add the final layer of the rose.
This gum paste dries quickly, so no need to hang the flower upside down. The rose flower will be dry and ready to use after atleast two hours.
- You can use a rose bud shape Styrofoam or make a bud shape out of gum paste but it will take longer time to dry.
- To make an edible glue, mix 1/4 cup of water and 1 tsp tylose.
- You can use bigger cutters if you want to make a large rose.