Ube jam, ube halaya or halayang ube is a Philippine dessert originally made from boiled and mashed purple yam. But this time, I used Ube powder. Ube halaya is also used in cakes, pastries and other desserts such as halu-halo and ice cream.
– Ube Halaya/Purple Yam –
- 115 grams powdered ube/purple yam
- 4 cups water
- 1 can or 397 grams Condensed milk
- 300 grams thickened/heavy/whipping cream
- 3/4 cup white or brown sugar
- 15 grams butter or margarine
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 2 tsps. ube flavor
- (Option 1) In a bowl, soak the powdered ube/yam purple in water till rehydrated. Then add the cream, condensed milk and sugar and mix them well.
- or (Option 2) Combine the powdered ube/purple yam, cream, condensed milk and sugar. Soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture in a non-stick pan and cook over low heat.
- Stir constantly till the mixture forms into a thick paste or to desired consistency.
- Add the butter, vanilla extract and ube/purple yam flavor anytime during the last 10 minutes of cooking.