White kidney beans, also known as cannellini beans, are used to make white bean paste. It can be used as a filling for desserts, or a paste and buttercream to make beautiful flowers.
The flowers made with bean paste are the current trend in sugar flowers after gum paste flowers.
This bean paste buttercream can also be used to frost and decorate a cake or cupcakes.
– Bean Paste & Bean Paste Buttercream –
Ingredients for Bean paste:
- 250 grams White Beans
- 150 grams Icing/powdered sugar
- 50 grams Corn syrup
Ingredients for Bean Paste Buttercream:
- 100 grams Bean paste
- 2 tsps Thickened/heavy/whipping cream
- 50 grams Butter
- 50 grams Vegetable shortening
Instructions for Bean Paste:
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Peel the beans and drain the water.
- Place the beans in a pan. Add enough water to cover the beans and bring to boil till they becomes tender.
- Once the beans are tender, let them cool down.
- You can use a food processor or a blender to blend the beans into a creamy smoothie consistency.
- Then place in a pan on medium heat and add the icing/powdered sugar.
- Adding the corn syrup is optional, but it helps to keep the paste moist.
- Keep stirring till you get the stiff consistency. Let the paste cool down, then its ready to use.
Instruction for Bean Paste Buttercream:
- Place your bean paste in a bowl, add the cream and mix them well.
- Cream the butter and add the vegetable shortening.
- Mix the butter and vegetable shortening mixture with the bean paste mixture, then your Buttercream is ready.
- For future use, store in an airtight bag and place in an airtight container.
- Paste and Buttercream can be stored for up to two weeks in the fridge and up to two months in the freezer.