This tiramisu cake is made of a sponge vanilla cake soaked with coffee syrup, topped with cream cheese frosting, and dusted with cocoa powder. Just like classic tiramisu but in a cake form!
– Tiramisu Sponge Cake –
Ingredients for Sponge Cake:
- 6 large Eggs
- 1 cup Cake flour
- 1 cup white Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Tiramisu Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 1 (8oz) stick Cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup white Sugar
Coffee Syrup & Topping Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups Strong coffee, room temperature or cold
- 2 tbsps. white Sugar
- 2 tsp Rum (optional)
- 2 tbsps. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder for dusting the finished cake
Instructions for Sponge Cake:
- Preheat the Oven to 350˚F. .
- Butter or spray the 8” pan with oil and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour.
- In a bowl, add the eggs and beat on high speed for 1 min with your stand mixer.
- With the mixer on, gradually add the sugar and continue to beat on the highest speed for 8 min.
- The egg mixture should be thick, pale yellow and tripled in volume.
- Add the vanilla extract and sift the flour into your batter.
- Fold the flour in with a spatula just until all of the flour is incorporated.
- Be careful not to over-mix since you are relying on the fluffiness of the eggs for volume.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool down 10 minutes.
- Then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool down on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is at room temperature, you can cut it in half to make two cake layers then remove the parchment paper.
Instructions for Frosting:
- Beat the Thickened/heavy/whipping cream on high speed until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat softened cream cheese and sugar on medium/high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Use a spatula to fold whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until well blended and refrigerate the frosting until ready to use.
Instruction for Coffee Syrup:
- Mix 1½ cups strong coffee with 2 Tbsp sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Adding rum is optional.
Assembling the Tiramisu Sponge Cake:
- Place one of the cakes on a cake platter.
- Brush half of the coffee syrup over the bottom layer.
- Spread ⅓ of the frosting over the first cake layer.
- Center the second cake layer over the frosting and brush the remaining half of the syrup over the second cake layer.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Pipe little designs all over the top then dust generously with unsweetened coco powder, then your cake is ready to serve.