A marshmallow is a sugar confectionery that in its modern form typically consists of sugar, water and gelatin whipped to a squishy consistency, molded into preferred sizes, coated with corn starch or icing sugar.
Homemade Marsmallow Recipe
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 tbsps Unflavored gelatine
For Sugar syrup:
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 cup White sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Corn syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- In a bowl of water, sprinkle the gelatine and set aside to bloom.
- In a pan on medium heat, combine the sugar, salt, corn syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Stir to dissolve and raise the heat to high and cook without stirring till a candy thermometer reaches 240 °F.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the gelatine mixture then increase the speed to high and whip till the mixture becomes thick.
- Prepare the pan or any container you want to use to mold the marsmallow.
- Brush or spray the pan with some oil and place two sheets of baking paper and spread some powdered sugar.
- You can use the brush to spread the powdered sugar evenly.
- Pour the meringue mixture to the pan and try to spread it evenly as you can.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar and let it sit out for atleast 5 hours uncovered to dry.
- Spread some vegetable shortening on the knife and slice the marsmallow into the desired size.
- Dust with more powdered sugar then the marsmallow is ready to serve.