A custard puff pastry is a dessert made with choux pastry dough and a filling such as whipped cream, custard, or ice cream. The light, airy pastry dough pairs with the heavier dairy product to make a rich, dense, flavorful dessert which is often dressed with chocolate or caramel sauce.
Custard Puff Pastry
Ingredients for Puff Pastry:
- 225 grams Cake flour
- 4 pieces large Eggs
- 270 grams Water
- 125 grams Butter
- 13 grams White sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
Ingredients for Custard Filling:
- 6 pieces large Egg yolks
- 300 ml Thickened/heavy/whipping cream
- 1 can Condensed milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean or vanilla extract
Ingredient to finish the Custard Puff Pastry:
- 100 grams Dark chocolate melts
Instructions for Puff Pastry:
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the butter, sugar, salt and water.
- Boil for few seconds to melt the butter and gradually add the cake flour.
- Keep stirring and cook the mixture till it becomes a non sticky paste.
- Place the paste into the mixing bowl and turn the mixer on low speed to mix slowly till the smoke is reduced and it cooled down.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Pause the mixer and scrape the bottom and the sides of the bowl down then turn the mixer on high speed for about a minute.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag.
- Prepare the baking tray with a non stick baking paper and stick with a few dots of the mixture to ensure it does not slide around when piping.
- Pipe the preferred size of your puff pastry and touch the tips (spike) with a wet finger to flatten down the little tips.
- Bake in a preheated oven 200°C (390°F) for 25 to 30 minutes or till golden brown in color.
- Times may vary depending on your oven.
- Once the puffs have a golden brown color, put the temperature down to 175°C (350°F).
- Open the oven door slightly and let the puffs sit in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- This is to avoid the puffs to collapse.
- After 5 minutes, take the puffs out of the oven and let them cool down before adding the filling.
Instructions for Custard Filling:
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the egg yolks, condensed milk, thickened cream and vanilla bean or vanilla extract.
- Keep stirring and cook till thick and sticky.
- Remove from the heat once cooked and thick.
- Let the filling cooled down before transferring into the piping bag with a Bismarck nozzle.
- Insert the end of the nozzle into the puffs to fill with custard filling.
To melt the Dark chocolate:
- Place the Dark chocolate melts in the microwave for 20 seconds or melt with a double boiler.
- Remove from the microwave and stir.
- Do the same process till the chocolate is completely melted.
To finish the Custard Puff Pastry:
- Dip the top of the puffs into the melted chocolate.
- The Custard puffs are ready to eat or you may want to chill them in the fridge before you serve. Enjoy!!