Leche Flan is a dessert made-up of eggs and milk with a soft caramel on top. It resembles crème caramel and caramel custard. This easy to make custard is slowly baked in a water bath and chilled overnight before eating. This Leche flan becomes more tasty and more creamy after 3 days sitting in the fridge.
Whole Egg Leche Flan with Orange Zest
- 5 pcs large Eggs
- 1 can or 397 grams Condensed milk
- 1 can or 385 ml Evaporated milk
- 400 grams Fresh milk
- 150 grams White sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 pc Orange zest
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup White sugar for the caramel
For the Caramel:
- Place the sugar in a saucepan and start to heat it on a medium flame.
- Other people said “don’t stir the caramel to avoid crystallization” but I always liked to stir my caramel, and this is optional if you follow this step or you just let your sugar to boil and melt without stirring it.
- Once caramelized, quickly remove the saucepan from heat and pour into the prepared pan.
- Let the caramel cool down and set before you start to pour the custard mixture.
For the Custard:
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except the 1 cup of sugar.
- You can use a blender or a food processor to blend and smooth the custard mixture.
- Pour the custard mixture once the caramel cooled down in the pan .
- Place the pan in a water bath and bake in a preheated oven 180°C for 60 to 90 minutes.
- Time may vary depending on your oven.
- Once the flan is cooked, remove from the oven.
- Remove from the water bath and let it cool down.
- Let the leche flan set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours or overnight before unmolding.
- Run a knife all around the edge, flip over to unmold onto a plate and let the syrup drizzle all over the flan. Enjoy!
- For Steaming: Cover the flan with aluminium foil and steam in lowest heat.
- Steaming time may vary depending on the size of the pan.
- Do a toothpick test to know if its cooked.
- Let the leche flan set for atleast 5 hours in the fridge before you serve it.
- Leche flan will be more creamy and tasty after two days in the fridge.